What does an interior designer do and how are they different from an architect or contractor?
- An interior designer’s focus is the form and function of a space. We partner with clients to achieve a desired aesthetic and design that enhances their lifestyle. We collaborate with other professionals like architects and contractors as needed, based on the type and scale of the project. As the designer we select all of the finishes for the home (like tile, plumbing etc) and furniture. An architect’s expertise is in building and structure, so they’ll be on the project team for additions or new builds. A contractor builds from the design plans created by the architect and designer.
What do I need to know about hiring an interior designer?
- The most important thing to know is that working with an interior designer can be a rewarding, stress-free process. In addition to helping you create a beautiful home, we can define the budget and scope of your project. We also have the connections and recommendations to help you hire the right contractors to complete the work. We take on renovations and new builds but also furnishing-only projects.
What is ‘full service’ interior design?
- Full service interior design is a turn-key service that takes the project from concept to completion. We take care of every detail—from sourcing items to working with tradespeople and even coordinating orders and deliveries. At project completion, we install all of your new furnishings and style the space as well.
How do you establish your design fees?
- Each project has its own unique scope and its own unique challenges, so we charge hourly based on time we spend working. We base our hourly rate competitively in the Orange County area, are committed to transparency with our clients, and will provide monthly updates so that you always know where you stand financially.
How does the process of working with you initiate?
- The first step is to complete an inquiry form—for both local and distance projects. After the inquiry form is received, we’ll contact you to schedule a complimentary 20-minute phone call to further review your project. If we're a good fit, we'll move into the Design Hours Proposal phase where based off of the information you've shared with us, we'll put together an official Proposal projecting the amount of hours it will take us to complete the design portion of your project. If and when you accept that Proposal, we'll send through contracts and hit the ground running.
What is an expected project timeline?
- Every project is different. With that being said, our furnishing and renovation projects are taking between 6-12 months+ and our new build construction projects are 1-3 years, depending. We always encourage prospective clients to reach out 6-12 months prior to the start of a project. Good design takes time and we like to be fully prepared when construction starts.
Do you welcome client’s opinions?
-Yes! Our job is to create beautiful designs, taking into consideration the client’s perspective, lifestyle, and goals for the home. We love hearing about the way you live and will look to you in the beginning to ensure we're aligned before we start designing. It’s a collaborative process, and nothing is more satisfying for us than creating a warm and welcoming space that truly celebrates who our clients are.
I don’t live in southern California but want to work with you. Can we still work together?
-YES! We love out-of-state projects, and have projects in 10+ states outside of California! Our process is the same for local or distance work (factoring in a lot of Zooms!). We also rely heavily on communication with the contractor and his trades that are on the job, and build in 2 strategically planned site visits as an extra measure to ensure that everything is going as planned.
How do you present your design ideas? What if I want to make changes after presentation?
- We present all the details of design concepts in a Zoom presentation. Once the initial concepts are approved, we start drawing the autoCAD floor plans and elevations that will guide the build or renovation. With the approved concepts and autoCAD elevations, we generate 3D renderings to help you visualize your new space. Once we have final designs, CAD drawings, and renderings, we collect as many samples as possible and present everything to you in person. 1-2 rounds of revisions are built-in to the design process. We love client feedback and are always open to amending the design to be exactly what you envisioned.